So, Palindrome gave me this award a while ago, but I kept forgetting to post it and the follow up list... but late is better than never, amiright?
Now I'm supposed to list 10 things that make me happy... (drumroll please)
1. Reading and Writing. Okay, so maybe this is a gimme, but I spend pretty much all my time doing one or the other. I'll go through phases. When I was trying to finish the rough draft of Unexpected Miracles I read very little. But right now I haven't really written anything (except these blog posts) in probably a month or two. Which makes me feel like a lazy bum. But in that time I've read about 15 books. Now I'm feeling the muse coming on again, so my reading will probably drop off while I write furiously for a couple of weeks. (At least I hope so) So I guess it kind of balances out. The point is, my life just wouldn't be complete without either of these things. So they are definitely #1 on the list of what makes me happy.
2. My family. My sister, AchingHope, is probably my bestest friend. We talk about just about everything in the world and I don't know what I will do when we eventually end up going our separate ways. I get along fantastically with my parents and we hang out and do stuff together as often as our schedules allow. Just last night my Dad and I watched like 4 episodes of X-Files just for fun. I can talk to them about pretty much anything and they are super supportive of me and my dreams. My other sister, Rae, is married, but we're still close and I'm so excited that she and her husband are coming on vacation with us in May! Both of my brothers are insanely talented in similar and different ways. They're both incredible musicians and I love falling to sleep at night to the sound of Dave's organ or Joe's accordion.
3. Pumpkin Custard. My Mom makes this quite often - it's basically pumpkin pie without the crust. I could eat it for every single meal and never get sick of it. She made it yesterday and I think I ate 3 servings of it throughout the day.
4. My blogging friends. That's right, all of you reading this, and some of you who aren't. I have enjoyed "getting to know you" guys through your wondrous posts on your own blogs and through your often hysterical comments here on mine. It's weird to think I have friends from all over the world through this community and I love it. Thanks to all of you who take time to read here. I'm sure you all are as busy as I am, but you take the time to read my random ramblings and it's so cool.
5. Local High School Musicals. I don't know if this is true everywhere (I'm sure it is) but we have some exceptionally talented high school students and teachers that put on really professional, fantastical shows. On Saturday AchingHope and I went to see "Curtains" at one of the local HS and it was phenomenal. There are several more coming up in our area and I am doing my best to go see as many of them as I possibly can. Another local school is doing "Seussical the Musical" and I forget what the other one is that I'm hoping to go see. But FUN!
6. Crocheting. A recent skill I've been developing. Haven't done much since I finished AchingHope's blanket, but I love the feel of the yarn between my fingers and seeing something cohesive come out of a few twists of the wrist and hook. Amazing.
7. Old Cartoon Movies. You know, like Anastasia and An American Tale and Land Before Time (The original ONLY) and Cinderella. They just don't make movies like this anymore. there is something about movies made before they really had computer help that just have an almost, I don't know, purer quality about them. There's an honesty to some of them that is missing in a lot of current animated features. It's like now a lot of the focus is on - wow, look how amazing this effect is - and less emphasis on the storyline and the building of the characters. It's not universally true on either end, but there's just something that's been lost. Okay, rant over.
8. In a similar vein - Older TV shows. I love things like The Cosby Show, Family Matters, Get Smart, Home Improvement, M.A.S.H. and older cartoons like Darkwing Duck, Gummi Bears, Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers, and a bunch of others that aren't coming to mind right now. There is definitely no current TV like these older sitcoms and cartoons especially.
9. Playing Wii with my friends. There are a couple girls from work. We're all about the same age and every so often we try to get together for a Wii date. We grab some Italian food and then spend the afternoon burning off the calories. It's so much fun to hang out while playing it.
10. Patterned Socks. I really like getting socks that have something fun on them. like lizards or ladybugs or crazy argyle patterns or Christmas trees or dogs or cherries. Yeah for fun socks!
All right, so there is my list.
I am realizing that I need to expand my list of blogs I troll, 'cause I think most of the ones I follow have already gotten this award. but I will pass it on to....
Jenn @ Pirates Dig Chicks Who Blog
Gillian @ You May Say I'm a Dreamer
Ashlie @ Nonsense