"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one.'" ~ C. S. Lewis

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Snowy Day Enchiladas

So, Friday, the snow was so bad that our county declared a State of Emergency and no one was allowed out. The mall closed, the shopping centers closed, pretty much everything closed.

That means I got THREE days off in a row! That hasn't happened since I was on vacation last year! Sweet muffins!

By Friday night the snow finally stopped and we got a total of 27 inches. In the lawn where we still had accumulation from last week we now have 34 inches! That's crazy talk! and I'm loving it :)

Here's Dave walking down our front walk.

Remember how our mailbox had a Russian hat? Well, after all the snow it became a conehead:

Here's a view of our back yard:
The snow got so heavy it started breaking off branches. When I was shoveling Thursday night I was scooping up snow at the edge of the driveway. I heard a snap and turned around to see a branch had come down like two feet from my head. After that I felt like I was in that scene from The Princess Bride in the fire swamp... every time I heard a pop or snap I jumped back to avoid the branches that were falling down around my head.

Anyhoo... back to Friday.

Around 1:00 we realized everyone would be home for dinner so we started digging through the freezer to see what to fix. All we had was roast or ground meat. I had just been listening to Double Shot by Diane Mott Davidson and the main character was making enchiladas - I thought ... mmmmmm... enchiladas.

But we were out of tortillas :(

So I pulled out good old Betty Crocker and discovered that tortillas aren't that hard - so I made my own!
Bubbly tortillas in the pan!

I made a whole giant stack of Mexican pancakes!
Here's the meat and cheese filling:

And the yummy sauce - I kind of changed the recipe a little to fit my picky palate and because we did not have chili peppers in the house.
Then I rolled them up

sprinkled cheese on top

and slid them into the oven.

Mmmmm....

It was yummy - I served it with tortilla chips, which were good for scooping up all the stuff that fell out. The sauce had a nice kick to it... and there were leftovers for me to take to work the next day!

Yeah for cooking! I love it, but don't get much opportunity - thank you snow for giving me the opportunity :)

5 comments:

Your Friendly Neighborhood Palindrome said...

omg, that looks so good!! you are invited to come over my house any time to cook me that. ;)

Falen said...

I'm not a fan of mexican food, BUT those tortillas look awesome and i want them...

Teebore said...

@Falen Not a fan of mexican food?

That's as crazy as me not being a fan of eggs and turkey drumsticks.

Those enchilada's looked hella good, and I lurve Mexican food.

Also, I'm jealous of your snow emergency. Up here in MN it takes a lot to get us to that point.

The last one I remember was when I was in high school and the high temp for the day was projected to be -60 so the governor declared a state of emergency and closed the schools. It was awesome.

Al said...

Looks awesome.

I had to smile about tortillas. Use a different flour and cook them in India and they would be called chapati or roti.

I live in OZ not India, but I fairly often cook chapatis to eat with curry.

Al

Publish or Perish

Erin said...

Homemade enchiladas? Seriously? Awesome! They look delicious... And they were actually easy to make, huh? I'm intrigued.