"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one.'" ~ C. S. Lewis

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

My Job is Never Boring

Sometimes some seriously random things occur at my job. I work in a bookstore and I think bookstores attract bizarreness. (Yes that is a word)

1. Yesterday our e-mail was down. Completely not working. When we called tech support, there was a recorded message with the following message. "We are currently experiencing e-mail outages affecting stores that end in the number 7."

Really? Seriously? Only stores that end in the number 7? How is that even possible!? I started laughing so hard I had to hang up the phone.

2. I had a customer call to find out if we had a book in stock. I checked for it, but it wasn't on the shelf, so I told him I was sorry, but we didn't have it. He said, "Well, that's funny because online it says you have it. So I told him, I'm sorry, but I just checked the section and it's not there. So he gets all hostile and says, "That's funny, because every $#(*%& store within 50 miles says the same (*$%& thing." To which I am now ready to hang up the phone, because I do NOT get paid enough to be sworn at on the phone. So I say good-bye (politely as I can) and hang up. The book? Marijuana Horticulture.

Again I say, Really? If it is so important that you find this book that you must call every bookstore in a 50 mile radius, then maybe you should just order it online. Oh, wait, you don't want to do that, because you have to put in your ADDRESS and NAME and, oh yeah, growing marijuana is ILLEGAL!

3. We had a bunch of stuffed animals that went on sale really cheap, so a lady and her son bought 4 giant bags worth of them. I was thinking to myself, what on earth are they going to do with 60 stuffed animals?

The lady was kind enough to talk about it with her son while they were at the register, so I got the answer to my question. "The cats will love these!" she said.

What kind of cats do you think they have?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a feeling I so do not want to meet those cats. O_o

Evil Blam said...

What kind of cats do you think they have?
Delicious ones, eh.
...
Verification word: Mmmmmm, kittens.

JennM said...

Well, I might be a bit of a cat lady myself, but I can safely say that I don't call either of my cats my "sons." Not in public anyways. Also I never bought more than 30, possibly 40, stuffed toys at a time for my sons…er…I mean boys…nope…cats.

Joan Crawford said...

I love hearing stories about the public like this :) I knew a guy whose mom had 17 cats. One cat was 21(!) years old and just laid on the dining room table set up to an IV!