"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one.'" ~ C. S. Lewis

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Shannon Hale Rocks!

The highlight of my trip to BEA was getting to meet Shannon Hale. My sister and I discovered her books a long time ago. Her books have a wonderful fairy tale feel without being retold tales. She was signing advance reader copies of the fourth book in her Books of Bayern series. The first three were so enjoyable and I cannot wait to get into the new one.

The best thing, though, was actually getting to meet her. We spent so much time at the Bloomsbury booth that the woman who was working at the booth and also at the signing recognized us and started teasing us about hanging around their booth for so long and praising Shannon Hale to ridiculous heights.

So Shannon was joking and laughing with the three of us and signed wonderfully personal messages for both me and for my sister.

She's the kind of person that I just wanted to sit down and have a cup of tea with and chat about books forever. It's so nice when someone whose work you have respected and enjoys ends up being so wonderful and personable.

If you haven't read anything by her and you are interested at all in good fantasy, please do yourself a favor and pick up The Goose Girl, or The Book of 1,000 Days, or (for you graphic novel lovers) Rapunzel's Revenge, which was absolutely fantastic!

No comments: