"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one.'" ~ C. S. Lewis

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Are You My Mother?

I've been kind of on a parental kick with Lost lately. It's been consuming quite a lot of my ruminations and I realized that there are very few Lost characters that we actually know for sure who their biological parents are. For some of them we've just never met them because they aren't important to the show, or because they are dead. For some of them we are told that ____ is someone's parent, but we don't know if that's really true. Some of them we know for sure and some of them we can be pretty sure about.

Now that I've confused you completely, here is my roll call of Lostie genealogy.
  • Jack: We have no reason to believe that his mother and father that we have met on the show should not be his biological parents.
  • Kate: Same here, but she was lied to for many years about who her biological father was, and even now we just have her mother's say-so, which hasn't always been the most reliable.
  • Sawyer: His dad shot his mom when Sawyer was just a little kid. We have no reason to believe these aren't his biological parents, but this also means that he was raised in foster care or something and we know nothing about his adoptive or foster parents. Interesting.
  • Locke: We know that his mother was named Emily. As far as I'm concerned, this is all we know for sure. We don't know that the crazy lady who came to see him was actually his mother and all we know about "Anthony Cooper" is that he and John are a match for a kidney and that "Anthony" is a lifelong con-artist. I referenced this in more detail in one of my earlier posts (Mama Emily). I seriously am not convinced that we know John's real parents yet.
  • Ben: We know that his mother is Emily (again, see my earlier post about my further thoughts on this), but we don't know for sure that Roger is his father. We have no reason to doubt it, but we don't know for sure.
  • Penny: I've been saying for a long time that I doubt Widmore as actually being her father. And we don't know who her mother is.
  • Desmond: Do we ever meet his parents? Or have them referenced in any way? Not that I remember.
  • Sun: Again, we have no reason to doubt that Paik is her father and that her mother is her mother. But we don't know for sure.
  • Jin: His mother gave him up at birth and the man who raised him was probably not his biological father.
  • Claire: I'm pretty sure that Claire's mother and father as presented on the show are actually her mother and father.
  • Juliet: No mention of parents. We meet her sister, but I don't think there's ever a mention of their parents.
  • Ethan: We know that Amy is his mother, but don't know for sure who his father is.
  • Daniel: This last episode we are led to believe that he is the son of Eleanor Hawking and Charles Widmore. I'm not really buying it. Hawking puts a bit too much of an emphasis on Daniel being her job. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but something just doesn't sit right. As someone on Nikki's site suggested, maybe Daniel is her and Charles' son in the same way that Alex was Ben's daughter.
  • Charlie Pace: We see his father in a dream and in a flashback and we see his mother in a dream. However, Charlie is older at this point and, while there is no reason to doubt that they are his biological parents, there is no reason to believe it, either.
  • Sayid: His father was a wonderful man. (like so many other fathers on this show) (sorry for the biting sarcasm) But the one scene this season is the only scene we have of Sayid's parents. No reason for them not to be his parents, but we haven't really seen much.
  • Hurley: I would like it if his parents were actually his parents and I don't know why they wouldn't be. He's the only one with a half-way decent family (though he has had his issues with his dad) and I think the show needs one of those. Of course, we don't know what his father did for all the years he was gone, so Hurley could end up having a half sibling that we haven't discovered yet.

Oh, I'm sure there are more, but my brain is shutting down, so I will update as I think of them later.

No comments: