"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one.'" ~ C. S. Lewis

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Early Lost Reactions

I was going through some stuff on my old computer and I found this whole thing I had written up when I first got addicted to Lost. This was in March of 2008. I was borrowing the first 2 seasons from a friend and had just bought season 3, though I hadn't started it yet. So I was almost done with Season 2 and my sister was about half way through. I only had the tiniest inkling of what I was about to get myself into. I thought it was interesting, so I thought I'd post it, for what it's worth... :)

Lost is a fantastically written, woven, crafted piece of TV work and I am quite immpressed. They seem to know just exactly how much information to give you to keep you interested without giving too much away. And you really invest in the characters.

You want to know what happened to turn Charlie from the responsible brother into the addict, you are dying to find out how Locke got paralyzed. You feel for Jack when his wife leaves him, you wonder what hardened Kate so much. You shake your head over Sawyer and want to know how he can be so full of contradictions. You want Jin to learn English and are happy when you see the love being rebuilt between him and Sun. You hope against everything that Walt and Michael are still okay, you love Hurley and are rooting for him and Libby. You mourn Shannon's senseless death and wonder what is going to happen to Sayid now. You want to know where the rest of the Tailies were taken and why the Others seem so obsessed with the children. You love little Aaron and are curious what was done to Claire when she was kidnapped and want to know what the sickness is that she and Rousseau and the Others are talking about.

You wonder what on earth happened to Desmond, because surely he hasn't left the Island. You marvel over all of the coincidences that connect all of the characters and you realize that it would be true to life. Maybe it's a little exaggerated because it is a TV show after all, but there would be a lot of connections.

You also wonder what the button is and if things really would go terribly wrong if those numbers weren't entered in on time. What is the Dharma Initiative and why did they have all of these random experiments going on and why is it abandoned, yet not? Are there more missing pieces for the orientation video and if so, where are they? So many, many questions.




So there you have it. Most of my thoughts have remained the same for the rewatch, though it seems that I have shifted minorly on some of the characters (e.g. Michael can be dead for once and for all. Please don't bring him back).
Some of these questions have been answered, but a lot have not - not to mention all of the new ones that have been raised!

Ah Lost. My escape from reality :)

No comments: