"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one.'" ~ C. S. Lewis

Monday, March 16, 2009

The Book Thief

I had heard so much about this book - The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Tons of people come into the store to buy it and the title intrigued me, so I finally read it.

I wasn't too sure about it when I first started it. The way it is narrated was a bit confusing to me at the beginning, but once you adapt to it it makes for a very different and very interesting narrator.

The book is set in Germany during World War II, but is from a very different perspective than most WWII books. Especially YA or children's books. Almost all of the ones that I have read have been from a Jew's perspective. This one shows a different side. The main characters are Germans who didn't agree with Hitler, but were trying to survive just as much as anyone else during that time period. In that I found it a little reminiscent of John Boyne's The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, which was a phenomenal book and was recently turned into a movie.

It definitely took me a little while to get into the book, but once I did I really enjoyed it. I am a weeper. I cry at books, tv shows, movies, touching stories. This book made me cry my eyes out at the end.

The most useless thing that I learned from this book? How to swear in German. I really could have gone without that knowledge in my life :)

No comments: