"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one.'" ~ C. S. Lewis

Monday, March 21, 2011

The End

Tonight Dad, Mom, Naomi, and I finished the special features on "The End of Time" - the final David Tennant Dr. Who special. Us girls found ourselves getting a bit emotional listening to the actors and watching the replay of the last scenes of the episode. It isn't the end of Dr. Who, because we know that Matt Smith has taken over and there have been two more years of Dr. Who since that ending.

But it was the end. It felt much more like a series finale than a season finale for me. I think some of that has to do with the nature of Dr. Who. Because of the regeneration, it's very much a new show with, in this case, a whole new cast and even a new producer.

(If you don't care about Dr. Who hang in here with me for a moment and I promise I'll tie it into a larger topic in a minute.)

Besides that, as brilliant as I'm sure Matt Smith is, I just think that David Tennant is absolutely brilliant and he was my first doctor. I've heard it said that you often feel a stronger connection to your first Doctor when you encounter Doctor Who.

Anyway. It's over and the specials have all been watched, but I find my thoughts lingering on the show and I find myself feeling almost depressed over the fact that this fictional character of the tenth doctor is never returning to my tv screen. Knowing I'll never see him make friends, make mistakes, continue to grow and change and LIVE makes me incredibly sad. But it was satisfying and beautiful at the same time. This got me to thinking - what makes a good ending? And then I started thinking about other endings that have affected me just as strongly and I started wondering why some are so memorable and others aren't.

I love a happy ending, but I also seem to like shows, and even books, that leave things a little bit open. I like room to imagine what's going to happen next. And honestly, I seem to like a little bit of bittersweet as well. Which is kind of a revelation for me, because I'm such a firm believer in the happy ending ending. I think it depends on how it's handled and the MOST important thing is that the ending is satisfying.

I could make a really long list, but here are a few endings I have loved:


The Hunger Games Trilogy and the Gregor the Overlander series by Suzanne Collins. I am such a Collins fangirl. I think she is absolutely brilliant. Both of these series end so bittersweetly and the thing that makes the difference is the hope. With all of the tragedy and death and horror there is hope that the characters can survive and can overcome the terrible things they've come in contact with. I get teared up just thinking about it. But the hope at the end would never have been so powerful if there hadn't been the terror right up until the last possible moment. The pain of the characters emphasizes the power of their ability to move on.

From Crazy Frankenstein
Friends. I discovered this show when I was an undergrad when a friend started lending me the seasons. I fell in love with the six characters and the ending was perfect. Each of them ready to move on with their lives, filled with possibilities, but that poignant moment when they all set down their keys and leave the apartment and the slow pan brings me to tears every time. It's an absolutely wonderful moment.

From Flash Screen
Lost. Yes, I was on the side of those that loved it. It threw me for a loop the first time I saw the finale, but after some time of processing and talking with other fans I realized that it was a beautiful and perfect ending. So there were unsolved mysteries. Wasn't that the whole point of the show? To keep people thinking and guessing and speculating? If everything was wrapped up nice and pretty it would have destroyed the power of the entire show. The characters were what really mattered. It was because of them that we cared so much about the mysteries. And each of them had some sort of conclusion to their story in a beautiful and meaningful way.

From Here
The Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. I cannot express my delight in these books enough. They are some of my favorites of all time and I was honestly terrified in wondering how the series would end, but I should have had more faith in Mr. Snicket. Open ended, bittersweet, and hopeful with enough bizarre twists and strange happenings to make it a worthy finale to a wonderful series.

I definitely have a lot of food for thought as I work towards the ending of my novel. Because I want to make it an ending that people will love and remember.

So what makes a good ending for you? Do you like wrapped up and happy? Or loose ended and mysterious? Or a mixture?

3 comments:

Sarah Ahiers said...

We got through the first season of Dr Who and was just preparing to jump into the David Tennant seasons, BUT stoopid netflix has a long wait on disc 1 and 3 of season 2, so now we're watining. Bummer.

Erin {pughs' news} said...

David Tennant is my first Doctor, too. I adore him. I was so anti-Matt Smith after the emotional ending (oh my! how I wept!) and was prepared to despise him, and was surprised to discover I actually quite enjoy his portrayal of the Doctor. He'll never be David Tennant though...

I loved the LOST ending too. Complete perfection and oh-so-good (though I have to confess I was always in the Sawyer-Kate camp and never once felt the Juliet connection at all!) I loved the focus on the characters and their relationships with one another. That's what mattered the most.

Am a big fan of The Hunger Games trilogy. The ending certainly wasn't happy, but it gave you hope, and things were certainly improved over the way things once were (but oh my! the devastation and grief that came in getting there). And I was soooo relieved that Peeta survived and overcame the brainwashing. Whew!

A good ending for me needs to resolve some stuff. There needs to be an element of happiness. It needs to make me feel something, and make me think. If it's really good I won't be able to get it out of my head for a long time after.

Charity Bradford said...

Ok, funny Dr. Who story in a minute, but first Chris Eccleston was my first doctor. It took a bit to get used to David but I love him now. I'm nearing the end of season 3, so I have a long way to go, but here's my story.

My hubby is out of town for the week and last night I decided to watch an episode of Dr. Who before going to bed. It would have to be the first episode that totally freaked me out "Blink" the one about the stone angels. I could not sleep all night. I was scared to close my eyes! I've always had this creepy fear of statues anyway.