"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one.'" ~ C. S. Lewis

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

NaNoWri...what????


I have officially signed up for my very first NaNoWriMo. For the uninitiated, that stands for National Novel Writing Month. Basically it's a non-profit organization that holds a one month writing exercise. During the month of November you are challenged to write 50,000 words. If you do, you win. If you don't, at least you tried.


What do you win, you might ask? Well, I'm so glad you did. You win..... a novel! Or at least a good start to one. And experience. And satisfaction. And that good ole fuzzy feeling.


I've been writing seriously since I was about 12. Do I think I'll ever get published? I hope so, but it's not something that I have this super huge drive on right now. I just think that this will be a good experience for me. It's all about just writing, rather than editing and being perfectionistic - two things I struggle with when I write. It's not saying, don't edit, it's just saying right now see where the story leads you.


My sister and a good friend at work are also doing it so we can encourage each other and keep each other on track.


There are a ton of resources on their website - fun ways to connect with other writers, idea generators, word wars, writing prompts, all kinds of fun things. You can check out their site if you're interested...


nanowrimo.org


And if you want, join me - it's an international event. If you do join, drop me a line so we can be writing buddies - my name is the same as it is here... sonshinemusic.


And if you want to be an annoyance drop me a line asking me how I'm doing during the month of November. :) I'll either be excited or really irritated (now there's incentive for you) but probably glad that someone read this :P

No comments: