"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one.'" ~ C. S. Lewis

Friday, June 5, 2009

Up-lifting

We always make a point to go see the newest Pixar wonder and Up was no exception. The movie was beautiful.

Sure it was funny - down right hysterical at times - but it was so much more than that.

The first ten minutes or so alone made up a movie in their own right and I would have left satisfied after just that segment. Any movie that can make me laugh and then cry within the first 10-15 minutes deserves major kudos.

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect. Trailers are often misleading and vague. Up delivered more than I anticipated. The characters were so well drawn that I completely sympathized with them. And the world was so well developed that I had no trouble buying into the fact that a house could be carried away by helium balloons and guided by curtains and bed sheets.

The music was amazing too and I had such a squee moment when I saw it was done by Michael Giacchino. That man is a genius. As my sister said, from the first two notes he set the tone of the movie. There was a definite "Ellie" theme that conjured the perfect emotions throughout.

Please, treat yourself to this movie. It's not just a kid's movie. "Up" is a movie for adventurers, lovers, and dreamers.

No comments: