And I've been figuring out how to fix minor problems like:
- Characters showing up for one chapter and then vanishing as though they never existed.
- Someone dying and then three chapters later the main character having a conversation with them. (and there are no ghosts) (or zombies)
- Contradicting myself in the same paragraph.
- Ridiculously long passages of exposition that I lamely explain away.
- Secondary characters that show up so infrequently you forget their name, but the main character keeps saying she knows them really well.
You know. Nothing major.
But I am actually loving it. This is really the first manuscript I have been so excited about and so sure that I can make it into something great with a lot of work.
And I've been doing a LOT of thinking trying to figure out the motivation of the two main characters - what drives them and what arc is going to carry them through the story - what their purpose is.
So yesterday when I was at work I was on the register (which isn't my favorite thing ever, but it is what it is) and it was slow, so I was thinking hard on why Devvon behaves the way he does. And suddenly it hit me.
He has a sister that I didn't know about and she is super important to everything that he does (yes, I am being really vague).
But what happened (and I am not joking) was that I got what had to be this really creepy smile on my face and I said softly (and aloud because I was so amazed and I am that much of a dork)
Sister... You have a sister.
And then I started laughing at myself because it sounded so Darth Vader-y and I was super glad that no customers or co-workers were around.
But it made me very happy to figure out such a major plot point!
Don't you love when our characters start to take on a life of their own? Have any of yours revealed anything shocking or surprising lately?